For a delicious, Southern-style breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner, nothing compares to Shrimp and Grits. A favorite of coastal cities like New Orleans, Louisiana; Charleston, South Carolina; and Mobile, Alabama, Shrimp and Grits has reached national acclaim. Sample this savory dish’s blend of creamy, salty flavors and you’ll see why Southerners love to wake up to a heaping bowl of Shrimp and Grits!
• 4 cups water
• Salt and pepper
• 1 cup stone-ground grits
• 3 tablespoons butter
• 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
• 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
• 6 slices bacon, chopped
• 4 teaspoons lemon juice
• 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
• 1 cup thinly sliced scallions
• 1 large clove garlic, minced
1. Bring water to a boil. Add salt and pepper. Add grits and cook until water is absorbed about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter and cheese.
2. Rinse shrimp and pat dry. Fry the bacon in a large skillet until browned; drain well. In grease, add shrimp. Cook until shrimp turn pink.
3. Add lemon juice, chopped bacon, parsley, scallions, and garlic. Sauté for 3 minutes.
4. Spoon grits into a serving bowl. Add shrimp mixture and mix well. Serve immediately.
Preparing the perfect meal for your family can be a challenge—to say the least. With delightful recipe suggestions from Oxford at Estonia Apartments in San Antonio, Texas, you all are sure to eat well every day of the week!